- Contact a local farmer who would be willing to answer questions from a class of children by audio conference. Explain the procedure to the farmer, and the age group and level of dairy farming knowledge of your class.
- Organise a suitable time for the conference to take place.
- Students brainstorm in small groups to come up with a question relating to one of the farming activities.
- Organise the questions and allocate them to students.
- Practise asking the questions. For example: 'Good morning ( farmer's name). I'm ( speaker's name). I would like to ask you ...'
- Choose one child to be the chairperson. They are responsible for ringing the number, asking for the guest speaker, introducing the speakers, and thanking the farmer at the end.
- It is important that speakers sit close to the phone and listeners are further back.
- Use the mute button when the guest is speaking, to ensure no noise goes down the phone line.
- Immediately after the audio conference, write up answers to the questions.